Saturday, November 15, 2008

man, I love to sew


I sometimes forget how much i love to sew. i spend a lot of time knitting these days, its portable, I can work in the family room ( you know, so I can watch my husband sleep) and with a granddaughter on the way I have lots of excuses to work with yarn, but every now and then the opportunity presents itself to sew, and sew I do!

I have a little shop on Etsy -- mommarocksstash. silly name, but pretty appropriate. anyway,Ive had 2 sales -- woo hoo. one, a sea urchin shaped pillow that sold when we were on hatteras, and just this week -- a custom order for 4 how the grinch stole christmas stockings. I tell myself that someday I will be a ble to make some sort of living selling my things, but Im not getting any younger, so that probably wont happen, but none the less, when someone actually pays me to make something I get pretty worked up.

so I went to the fabric store and the craft store, probably spent more than I will make on the sale, rumaged through my shelves and bins for greens and reds and teal and purple, and set to work. Oh man, fun fun fun. Its like being in the zone -- fabric and texture and threads, the sound of scissors cutting through fabric -- man I love to sew. finished two today, am just pleased as punch with them. Will try to get the other two done this week, I have a million ideas in my head as to how I want them to look, Ill probably end up making some for us.

sometimes i forget the joy of making something from nothing, of seeing it in my head then seeing it in my hands.

someday, maybe, Ill be able to spend hours and hours each day doing this. right now tho, every now and then will have to do.

No comments: